Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ahhhh, the soul saving of a good ride

It's amazing the difference a few hours can make. This morning... I was despondent again. In that horrible place where I'm considering buying/leasing another horse because I feel like Fleck is always going to hurt. And how fair is it for me to keep asking him? He owes me nothing... He's given me his entire soul and being and... how cruel of me to keep asking. Even if he does feel better.. it doesn't change the fact that he's got arthritis. And sure okay... I overdid it and my feet hurt today but not enough to stop me from doing things.. just enough to notice. So maybe it's only that bad, but... maybe it's not. He can't tell me. So... why should I ask?! So... I was feeling awfully blue...  My sweet loving kind caring healing generous giving horse... and I'm thinking about cheating on him and getting another. I think that would break his heart! So yep.. I was blue.. horribly blue.

And then... it was time to ride. I got the boys loaded up and headed to the beautiful Ashland farm. My friend ended up oversleeping and didn't make it, but maybe it was better that way. It was just me and the boys and the dark skies.. the occasional thunder rumble.. and nature. Oh, and a few tractors. ;) And we had a blast!!!!! They cracked me up. And Fleck felt pretty good!!

He was forward, happy, and even bossy!! Anytime Danny got slightly ahead of my shoulder Flecks head snaked back so quick.. ears pinned and evil grumpy face on. Hee hee... Poor Dan.. he really didn't even deserve. But it made me happy to see Fleck being so bossy!! Because when he was hurting.. he wasn't picking fights with Danny. And that broke my heart a little. So despite poor Danny getting it, I was glad. Fleck was feeling pretty good! We did some trotting and he was sound!!! He was happy to go forward and energetic. And yes... there was a funky step here and there, but it was so intermittent I couldn't really tell if it was typical Fleck stumble or real. Of course holding onto Danny too makes it harder to evaluate.



But yay... Fleck really is a "healing" horse... He took my mood and heart and soul and fixed it today. And yes, it doesn't change the fact that he may have to be retired, but dangit we can still have a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment