Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fleck channeled his fire breathing TB side today..

And ... it.... was..... AWESOME!!!!!!
We went cross country schooling today at Chatt Hills with Beth. And we got super lucky. The rain held off until we were untacking. Yay!! It was a fun group today. It was us, Kristin and Conrad - the 18 hand HUGE 3/4 belgian, 1/4 standarbred that Fleck grew up with, Jamie and Nike - the ex Olympic 2 in hand champion Dutch Warmblood from the Netherlands, Stephanie and LC - a paint/TB fantastic jumper, Hannah and Gracie, a catty athletic Windfall baby, and Jennifer and Oliver, a TB/Perch/Hanoverian/Appy cross, who while only 1/8 Appy has a TON of color. And they were all awesome :)
We got to Chatt Hills and didn't see any jumps?!?! Ritch had texted Jennifer that they were in a certain field but we didn't know which field that was. So.. Jennifer and I took the two spotted boys on a long trot to the far left field... jumps piled up, but nothing to jump. So then we trotted back to the middle and then went to the far right.... and then kept going... and going. Then we cantered... and kept going and finally... JUMPS! So then we walked and trotted back to the group, which was warming up over the coffin. The other guys were pretty much done so Spotty 1 and Spotty 2 went to it. They were both pretty good. Then we began the long trek back to the jumps again. Hannah and I wanted to race, but... we restrained ourselves.

In the new field was a bunch of jumps... cabins, roll tops, swedish oxer thingy, half rounds, skinnies, and a slight bendy line. We started off and we're doing okay, but not great. Then Fleck landed off jump 3 and on his way to jump four, he started weaving and bulging through his shoulder. Fine... That's a common problem. But then a few strides before the fence, as I'm trying to get him lined up again, he bolts... through his shoulder. It was wierd.... not the usual funky Fleck. He almost ran into the fence as I pulled him off it and tried to get him back under control. I finally did and couldn't figure out what the deal was. Figured I did something and started to attempt it again. Then .... we saw the two horses across the creek in the trees. Aha!! Fleck spooked again. So... I think he had spooked at them and then bolted. So... we regrouped and this time, Fleck maintained a straight forward momentum and we jumped it fine. The rest of the course was a little hiccupy... and I was starting to debate my move down to novice... So.. Beth had me really get that bouncy tigger fire snortin' cavortin' canter again. And wow.. it works!!! We got our canter and suddenly we rocked our whole mini-course! Like, he got to the base of the skinny chevrons, he jumped the centers of the two very skinny slightly offset cabins, and he jumped the heck outta that big roll top. YAY!!

So then we went back out to the font field and played in the water complex (minus the water) and the banks. Beth had us walk down the bank, trot down the bank, then canter down, and then walk, trot, and canter up the bank. And phew... we survived it! Then we did a course.... down the training bank, up the double up training/prelim banks, up the "man from snowy river" novice down bank, then down the prelim bank. Yay! It was fun. And Fleck.... despite having been ridden for going on 3 hours now, and having done his warm up hack.... hit the bottom of the hill and ... just went for it! He shot off like a rocket and was GALLOPING!!!  And it was a real gallop. A big boy gallop!!! Like... an off the track thoroughbred gallop! It was amazing :) And... when I asked him to sit back up before the up bank... he said "Yes ma'am"! It was awesome. I asked Beth if the gallop was okay and she said she actually really liked it! It was a nicely balanced canter.
WOW!!! We did a few courses, including some mad gallops.. IN BALANCE!!!! GO US!!!!!!
So.... if I can just imprint todays ride, and yesterdays ride, into my brain.. and get that every ride... we'll be unstoppable :)
It sounds silly... but Flecky really felt like a rock star today..like an upper level horse... like a fire breathing thoroughbred! I loved it :)

Now to keep this trend up :) And... to start working out so I can keep up!

So... here are my going away things to remember things list.... ;)

  • Keep my hiney in the saddle on the approach
  • Keep my legs firmly clamped on... always pushing him up into the bridle
  • Half-halt if needed, but not repeatedly pulling... not back and forth pulling... just do it once as needed, then set my hands on his neck, maintain the connection, and ride him up into it
  • Going down banks... slide my feet forward so that I don't tip, and don't always slip the reins so much. Keep the connection
  • That bouncy firm connection is JUST as, if not more, important when going up banks. He needs to have an engine.
  • I need to feel that fire breathing, snorting, rip roaring Fleck!!
  • I need to work out so I can keep up!

No comments:

Post a Comment