Thursday, February 23, 2012

Yay!!! It's official... we've GOT it!!!!

Whoo hooo!!! It's so funny... just a month ago I was miserable and couldn't do anything right... and was just about at the point where riding wasn't even fun. Now this month... IT IS AWESOME!!!!! Thank God!!! Seriously...
Okay, so it's not funny. It's sad really... but anyways... not dwelling on it.. back to happy appy land :)

I don't know what happened... or what the key is... whether it's the change in fitness, the pentosan, or just the plain and simple fact that I'M FINALLY DOING IT RIGHT!! And Fleck says.. Thank you God!!! :) (We owe him a lot lately :) ) And we owe Beth and Cindy too :) I'm finally getting it. It's finally sinking into my little brain.

So today was the third jumping ride in a row. And... especially after Poplar, we needed it. I really really need to remember to not go too long without jumping. So anyways, three rides in a row, all jumping with Beth. It was exactly what we needed! I think that it finally cemented it into both Fleck and my brains that this is it. THIS is the canter we need. And it's so much easier when we get that. So.. hopefully having three great rides with that canter will be enough to make it stick.

Basically.. here's the fine points.... LEG LEG LEG!!! Ride him UP into the bridle.. keep my seat softly in the saddle, keep my hands at his neck (almost planted, but not really), half halt if needed but not repeatedly and ineffectively, use leg to push him into the bit to half halt himself, no more invertedness, and power power power! And... lastly, don't abandon him. If it's not quite right.... the answer is NOT throwing the reins at him. Its' closing my leg, keeping the connection, and being there for him to help him over.

And you know what?! When I do it right.. it's amazing!!! I can tell it's gonna be awesome, his stride gets bigger and more powerful, his jump gets round and powerful, and I stay with him. And I'm able to keep the connection on the reins and my hands don't float. :)

Ahhhh.... so much happier with myself. I'm actually THINKING again!!! And Fleck is pleased with me too. He's happier with my riding now. But yep... we did grids today and landed left, then landed right, etc. Going to the right we were getting decent changes, but partially only because Fleck drifts left first. Going to the left, he tends to lean and fall in, making them hard. So Beth pointed out that it was because he's drifting in and that I am falling down in my shoulders too and making it harder for him. So... I really need to sit up and sink my right seat bone down. And then before she could even say more... I started thinking that perhaps I need to think about drifting right first. And it worked :) The changes were clean and we managed to stay much more upright :) And in the lines, I was starting to think and ride :) Not every one, but most. :)

So yay.. I"m back!!! And Fleck is oh so glad about it :)

And to top it off... he's feeling GREAT!!!!! He's fit.. he's almost a bit spooky... which I LOVE!! Not in a bad way, but in a "I feel GOOD!" way. :) He looks amazing....
Now... to just get me in the same boat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment