Saturday, February 16, 2013

Giving up for Lent!

So.... someone on facebook had posted that they were giving up stirrups for Lent!!! I had already decided to give up soda, but figured... I could give up stirrups too!! Of course, with some caveats. I would keep them for lessons and clinics and shows. I would also use them if I was jumping big stuff or going gallops (maybe!). So.. the first day of Lent was cold and miserable.. but after deciding to ride without stirrups I had the motivation to get out there. So I did. As Fleck was tied to the trailer getting groomed and tacked up... I started to rethink my plan. It was cold... windy... and brisk out! It was a spooky day. And Fleck was spooky!! He was taller than usual, dancing and snorting. Hmmm.... But let's do this! So off the stirrups came and out we went. The rings were still super wet so I rode in the jump ring. Once we got up there and went to work, he settled down quite nicely. He's such a good boy! I did better than I expected without stirrups, though there was definitely more canter work than trot work. We got some nice canter to walks and did more of the canter, walk, counter canter, on the circle. Then I jumped two little jumps for fun. Hee hee... Then we went for a short trail ride. So success!!!
And shockingly, I wasn't even really that sore the next day. Not like I was expecting. And.. my leg position was so much better... My toes weren't pointed out.. So that must mean something!

No comments:

Post a Comment