Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Jumping with Distractions

Fleck and I went to Wishing Tree Farm today with Danny. Fleck and I had a jump lesson with Beth. It was great! We started with a grid to work on Fleck. We were working on letting him not hang on me and hold his own shoulders up and jumping nicely rather than rolling over his shoulder. We went through it a few times and Fleck did great. I can't drop him or abandon him on course, but through a grid... I can. And once he realized I'm not holding him up, he sets himself up quite nicely. He really kinda nailed it. So then we did a few courses. With some tough downhill angled questions. When I rode properly.. he was great! So... 
  • no half halts without leg
  • half halt with the outside rein, not both, not inside
  • no half halts or dropping him to let him stand up himself within the last 4 strides before a fence

So yep.. it was a good ride. Fleck was great and I finally sat up and rode and it was awesome. Fleck was cracking me up though. Since Dan came too and stayed up at the barn in the round pen, Fleck was awfully distracted. He did his job though! He was really not paying any attention though. He was so focused on where Danny was. But he was able to do the job and get over all the fences. Hee hee. Like Mike.. so good at his job he can do it with only ONE brain cell devoted to it. hee hee.

But yep.. a fun day.
   

2 comments:

  1. Awww thanks!!! He is freakin' amazing!! But I always love to hear when other people think so too. I may be a bit baised. ;)

    ReplyDelete