Thursday, August 28, 2014

Interesting day.... Fleck lost his marbles!

So... today was a bit... odd! I was able to meet up with Kelli and Peri for a fun trail ride and then playing in the show jump ring. Only we ran out of time and it went... downhill. ;) But it was still a good day with good friends. I was hoping to get Fleck warmed up and then take off his tack and jump him without tack. :) But... Nope... not gonna happen!

We were all a little rushed and Kelli went up to lunge to get started. The round pen is hidden in the woods and you can't see it as you are walking up to the jump ring. Arwyn was a bit wacky and was running and unfortunately, she came around and was visible just as Fleck and Tess came into the ring. They both dropped a shoulder and bolted a few steps and then were terrified!! I could feel Fleck's heart pounding and they both grew a hand and had their ears up and quivering. They finally calmed down when they realized it was Arwyn but it took a good 10 minutes.

So then we started riding and Fleck warmed up fine. And now, we have a liverpool in the jump ring. Something that Fleck has jumped repeatedly!! At Ashland... at shows... Yet it was recently put back out so fair enough... Fleck was giving it the eyeball and snorting. So I asked him to look at it and walk up to it. And he barely did. He was seriously freaking out. So after a few times, I thought he was fine and trotted him up to it to jump it. He lost his mind and wouldn't go near it. Fleck!!! Really?!?! You are a prelim horse! Honestly! So I got off and tried to walk him up to it and couldn't get him near it. Sigh.. so I pulled the poles down and still couldn't get him near it. Well... then I borrowed Peri's crop and got him to get closer... and then closer still. And eventually I got him to walk past it, but he was terrified. It was totally unlike Fleck!! I managed to get him to walk over it a few times. Well, jump over it. So then I got back on and he jumped it a few times. So then I put the pole back up, to a tiny little vertical. We jumped a few other jumps to make sure it wasn't a jumping issue and get his confidence back up. He jumped around beautifully. So... I made him jump the liverpool quite a few times. He was still scared but did it without refusing.

Very interesting... I'm rather flabbergasted. I just have no idea what happened. Unless he was just so worked up for the round pen situation and it being new and not jumping one in awhile. Plus he's feeling pretty fit and has been a bit spookier lately. And I started him on new supplements, although one is magnesium, which in theory makes him calmer! But gracious. It was very odd. I don't really EVER remember him acting that ridiculous before. He's been scared, but has never taken that long to get over something. And I hate to admit it, but I got a little frustrated with him. I started out nice and encouraging but he started walking over me, so I had to get a little strict with the whip. I don't think I helped his fear at all, but he was almost to the point where he was hysterical. Very bizarre.

But at least we ended well. So.... hopefully it will stay out for a good bit. I foresee lots of walking past, over, etc to it for the next few weeks.

Jeesh... Needless to say, we did NOT get to "naked" jumping. Good grief...

But a fun day with friends regardless. :)

1 comment:

  1. My horse has been acting like this too!!! Normally not spooky at all, but the past week has been spooking at seemingly nothing. So odd! I can't decide if he is just feeling really GOOD, or if it a symptom of a problem.

    ReplyDelete