Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dressage Day

Today Fleck and I got back to High Point for lessons again. It was fun! We started off and Cindy said that she liked how I was slow in the up part of my post but that I needed to be just as slow in the down part of my post. By posting down fast, I'm telling him to bring his hind leg down fast. And that's not what we want. So... I tried. But holy smokes that is hard!!! Seriously hard!! But we must have been making some progress because Cindy said it was working :) Then we moved on and focused on the canter work. NO tipping forward into the canter. I got better at it. Then I just need to remember to make my elbows heavy (Ie.. bend them and keep them by my hips) and keep the connection. Fleck was REALLY getting my half halts today! It was awesome. He got some serious sit! Of course I need to remember to keep my seat cantering and not stop, thus turning the half halt into a halt. ;) I also need to keep my hip moving up in the canter to the right. And keep my right leg down and long. And forward... and when I did that.. it settled right where it needed to be and Fleck could bend around me. :) yay!!

So then we worked on the canter/walk/canter on the second quarter line. That's hard for me. I can do a decent canter/walk/canter anywhere else, but doing it at the second quarter line on the short diagonal is hard! Cindy said to just visualize a fake wall to my side. I didn't think that was what the problem was, but it really helped. We got a really decent one. Yay! Maybe this weekend won't be a total disaster. :)

Oh, and while warming up we worked on the turn on the haunches, and I think Fleck and I are getting it! Whoo hooo!!!


Good days!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! *waves!*
    LOVE the blog. Lots of fun exercises that I am stealing! You make me realise how much I DON'T think when riding. Bad me. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete